Wednesday, March 19, 2025

Beware of Google/AI Answers (Prostko)

Just got an interesting phone call from an established crop consultant. He asked me about the use rate for Sonalan (ethalfluralin) in field corn.  I replied to him that as far as I know, after working in field corn since 1987, that Sonalan was never or is not now labeled for field corn and I that I would never recommend it, especially PPI or PRE.  Remember, Sonalan is a grass herbicide for use in broadleaf crops.  I then asked him where he got his information.  His reply was that I "Googled" it.  If you Google Sonalan and field corn, here is what shows up:



What would I expect if Sonalan was used in field corn?  Stunting, stubby roots, poor stands, excessive lodging, replanting to a labeled broadleaf crop (i.e. soybean or peanut).  A picture of "yellow" herbicide injury on field corn (Source: S. Berger, IFAS).



This is not the first time I have seen an error with a Google/AI search.  Bottom line, growers/consultants/county agents should not be getting weed control recommendations from Google/AI.