Monday, May 19, 2014

Excessive Injury with Liberty in WideStrike Cotton Currently Being Noted (Culpepper) - For Your Eyes Only

Early last week, I applied Liberty to WideStrike cotton throughout the state and I am now observing the highest level of injury that I have ever observed with Liberty in WideStrike cotton.  The increased level of injury is likely a response to our excessively moist environment.

Things to consider:

1. Try to avoid spraying Liberty on Widestrike cotton during our current extremely moist environment.  The best way to avoid the need for Liberty is overlapping residual herbicides as defined on the laminated handout you were given.  There are NO preemergence herbicide mixtures lasting longer than about 18 days and don’t forget you have to get the POST residual herbicide out and activated prior to the prememergence herbicide breaking.

2.  If spraying Liberty on WideStrike cotton, don’t overdo the rate.

3.  If spraying Liberty on WideStrike cotton, do not add any adjuvant.

4.  If spraying Liberty on WideStrike cotton avoid mixtures with Dual, Warrant or Staple at this current time.

5.  Remember neither Dow nor Bayer support the use of Liberty in WideStrike cotton.

6.  I would expect to return to normal injury levels once we are not swimming.

7.  No concerns spraying Liberty on GlyTol/LL cotton.